Friday, July 13, 2012

Sound



In this soaring demonstration, deaf percussionist Evelyn Glennie illustrates how listening to music involves much more than simply letting sound waves hit your eardrums.
Scottish percussionist and composer Evelyn Glennie lost nearly all of her hearing by age 12. Rather than isolating her, it has given her a unique connection to her music.

"If we see someone in a wheelchair, we assume they cannot walk. It may be that they can walk three, four, five steps. That, to them, means they can walk.

Music is our daily medicine"

5 Comments:

Blogger Tseka said...

I look forward to viewing this when I go in to town.

"daily medicine" time to rethink what our suggested daily allotment should be eh?

Nourishing the soul seems to have been neglected, we are noticing and making amends.

Thanks for your expertise in this field Dr JM.

13/7/12 5:59 PM  
Anonymous Joe said...

Wow. This gives me a lot to think about, especially since I'm due to take the first steps toward stereo sound, about 40 days from now, after 35 years of monaural hearing. :o) And believe you me, I chose the astro-date very carefully. I'm praying the surgeon doesn't decide to go on vacation that week.

16/7/12 5:55 PM  
Blogger jm said...

Omg, Joe. Amazing. What a journey your life has been. Stereo opens up a huge dimension. Sound bouncing from different places creates a roundness and sensation of altered space. I must know what happens and how you experience the change.

17/7/12 11:50 AM  
Blogger Tseka said...

Seconding what JM said, I can't wait to hear about your next success.

18/7/12 6:27 AM  
Anonymous Joe said...

I'll blog about it just like with the first one. :o) It's not something that will happen overnight so I expect the process will take longer.

18/7/12 2:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home