Friday, January 09, 2009

Validity

The Plaid Dress
Edna St. Vincent Millay
Strong sun, that bleach
The curtains of my room, can you not render
Colorless this dress I wear?
This violent plaid
Of purple angers and red shames; the yellow stripe
Of thin but valid treacheries; the flashy green of kind deeds done
Through indolence; high judgements given here in haste
The recurring checker of the serious breach of taste?
No more uncolored than unmade
I fear, can be this garment that I may not doff;
Confession does not strip it off
To send me homeward eased and bare;
All through the formal, unoffending evening, under the clean
Bright hair
Lining the subtle gown ... it is not seen
But it is there.

2 Comments:

Blogger Tseka said...

One of the good ones.

Strong sunlight; a powerful bleach indeed.

There is something purifying in the winter light, here, in these mountains, every morning it breathes into me a great cleansing breath.

9/1/09 7:55 AM  
Blogger jm said...

Breathing's good!

9/1/09 1:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home